Friday 8 May 2020
Construction works for Stage 1A of the $60 million Inverell Hospital
are complete and final operational commissioning tests are underway, with opening to the public scheduled for Monday 25 May 2020.
The redevelopment brings together all the acute services including Emergency, Medical Imaging, Renal Dialysis, Inpatient Unit, Maternity, Paediatrics, Day Surgery and an Operating Theatre.
Project Director David Ledslam said the new hospital was a modern, fit-for-purpose and culturally-welcoming facility, that the Inverell community could be immensely proud of.
“We’re excited to be opening the new facility but are mindful that transition into the new facility be carefully staged to minimise disruptions to patients and services.”
“Due to COVID-19, the community can get to know their new hospital ‘online’ with the option of printed materials.”
A brochure, internal and external site maps and a video walk-through of the new hospital
are available on the Inverell Hospital website.
Stage 1B includes the refurbishment of most of the existing Inverell Hospital building to enable the relocation of services from the existing Community Health building. Richard Crookes Construction (RCC) has been selected as the contractor.
The second component includes internal fit-out of the CT room in the new hospital, the refurbishment of the existing hospital building to accommodate Community Health and ambulatory care services.
Community Health will remain in its current location off Swanbrook Road, until the refurbishment of the existing hospital building is complete in 2021. The refurbishment works will start once the old hospital building is vacated and decommissioned.
Once complete, the refurbished facility will offer adult ambulatory care, including mental health services, women’s and children’s health services, chronic disease treatment programs and allied health.
The internal refurbishment works will start once the existing hospital services are relocated into the new hospital building this year.
Inverell Hospital – the facts
The new Inverell Hospital includes new services and improvements including:
Aerial photography taken between October 2018 and March 2020
- Emergency Department including emergency care for children and mental health-related presentations
- 38-bed Inpatient Unit, including Paediatric facilities, Maternity and birthing facilities, and general adult services including palliative care
- Internal play area for children and/or their siblings
- Better birth experience with a state of the art birthing room
- Medical Imaging, including X-ray and OPG, with CT coming on-line at a later date
- Expanded Day Surgery spaces
- Increased capacity for renal dialysis
- Modern Operating Theatre (existing Operating Theatre to remain as required)
- Artwork and signage designed specifically for Inverell with community involvement
- Improved kiosk and waiting area at the main entrance
shows the incredible transformation of the site, as well as the huge change in seasons experienced over this timeframe.
Check out a walk-through of the new hospital below!
Building hospitals and healthcare facilities is a complex operation - find out more
Get all the latest Health Infrastructure news on Twitter