Major construction is underway on the $940 million redevelopment of the Royal Prince Alfred Hospital (RPA)
, which will deliver the biggest transformation in the hospital’s 140-year history of caring for the community.
Premier Chris Minns, Minister for Health Ryan Park and Minister for Planning and Public Spaces Paul Scully joined health workers at the site for a traditional sod turn event to mark the important milestone.
This major investment follows the recent approval of the State Significant Development Application for the project.
The redevelopment will enhance access to vital health services including construction of a new 15-storey clinical services building, an expanded emergency department and Intensive Care Unit, more inpatient beds, as well as medical imaging, operating theatres and neonatal areas.
RPA is one of Australia’s leading hospitals, renowned for its excellence in providing innovative health care and education for the 740,000 people who live in the Sydney Local Health District and the more than one million people who visit the area for work, study or to see loved ones on a daily basis.
The $940 million RPA Hospital Redevelopment includes:
- Over 700 acute beds available at the end of the RPA project.
- Expanded and enhanced emergency department and intensive care units
- With the Hospital’s Emergency Department to expand from 42 treatment spaces to 91 treatment spaces; and
- More than a 50% increase in the Adult Intensive Care bed capacity from 49 Adult ICU beds to 74 Adult ICU beds.
- State-of-the-art operating theatres
- Expanded and improved adult and paediatric inpatient accommodation/beds
- Increased interventional and imaging services.
- Enhanced maternity services and neonatal services.
- With the Hospital’s Neonatal Intensive Care Unit and Special Care Nursery increasing capacity by more than 30% from 34 beds to 45 beds.
Work on the redevelopment is being carefully planned to ensure clinical services remain operational during construction, while staff and the community will continue to be updated as the project progresses.
The start of major construction marks the completion of enabling works on site, which included the temporary relocation of the helicopter landing site to the roof of a multi‑storey carpark located off Hospital Road and Grose Street, on RPA’s western campus.