Premier Chris Minns and Minister for Health and Minister for Regional Health, Ryan Park, joined local health workers to turn the first sod and mark the start of construction for Stage 3 St George Hospital Redevelopment.
The sod turn was held at the new Integrated Ambulatory Care Precinct site, that when finished, will bring new and existing health services together under one roof, improving the delivery of health care to St George and Sutherland Shire communities.
The project will boost the number of inpatient beds for sub-acute care and rehabilitation patients, and provide a specialty Aged Care Unit to better support the complex needs of older patients.
Stage 3 of the St George Hospital Redevelopment will include:
- outpaitent, ambulatory and integrated care services
- pathology specimenc ollection
- new day rehabilitation unit
- increased sub-acute and rehabilitation inpatient beds
- sub-actue ages care unit
- behavioural management unit
- acquired brain injury unit
- palliative care
- surgical services with refurbishmed operating theatres
- enhanced diagnostic imaging 9medical imaging and nuclear medicine0
- new clinical skills centre
Contractor BESIX Watpac is delivering the project, including a new car park off Kensington Street.
Main works are expected to be completed in late 2025, with further refurbishment, demolition and landscaping works targeted for completion in late 2026.
The Stage 3 Redevelopment will complement the previously completed Emergency Department, eight-level Acute Services Building and upgraded Birth Unit and Operating Theatre redevelopment.