2 October 2020
The concept design has been unveiled for the expansion of the John Hunter and John Hunter Children’s Hospitals, marking significant progress for the $780 million John Hunter Health and Innovation Precinct.
The project is set to provide a seven-storey Acute Services Building integrated with refurbished areas of the existing building, new inpatient units, improved main entrance, a courtyard and expanded support spaces.
Developed in consultation with clinical hospital staff and other key stakeholders, the new Acute Services Building will include:
- new and expanded emergency department
- new and expanded critical care services (adult and paediatric)
- new and expanded operating theatres, interventional and imaging services
- new birthing suite and inpatient units
- new neonatal intensive care and special care nursery
- expanded and redeveloped inpatients units providing single and twin rooms
- increased interventional and imaging services.
The John Hunter Health and Innovation Precinct will deliver updated and enhanced facilities providing a larger facility to meet the demands of the Greater Newcastle, Hunter New England and northern NSW Regions. The precinct will encourage partnership with key health, education and research partners from within and beyond the immediate region.
The concept design is currently on display in the hospital and can be viewed on the below links:
The redevelopment is currently scheduled for completion in 2026.
Get all the latest Health Infrastructure news on Twitter